Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools' chief technology officer, Kevin Sherrill, told reporters at a Wednesday news conference that the children were evacuated that morning after the 2015 laptop began to smoke.
District spokesman Brent Campbell said a Lewisville Elementary third grader reported the laptop was getting hot, and it then started to smoke. He says the classroom and building were evacuated, and the laptop was sprayed with a fire extinguisher.
Sherrill says the laptop likely suffered a battery-related issue. The district is now recalling all 20,000 of its 2015 Chromebooks, which Sherrill says are each valued at about $210.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.