MOORESVILLE, N.C. — A funeral service and procession has been scheduled for a Mooresville police officer who was shot and killed during a traffic stop over the weekend. Several schools are dismissing students early Friday because of the funeral procession.
Sheldon was shot and killed Saturday.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Calvary Church on Highway 51 in Charlotte. Following the public service, there will be a funeral procession.
Schools dismissing early:
- Coddle Creek Elementary will dismiss at 11 a.m.
- Mount Mourne School will dismiss at 11:30 a.m.
- Any Iredell-Statesville Schools district student who wants to leave early for the procession can do so and will be marked as an excused absence.
- All Mooresville Graded high and middle schools will dismiss at 11 a.m.
- All Mooresville Graded elementary schools will dismiss at noon.
Police said Sheldon had pulled over 28-year-old Michael Aldana during a traffic stop. Aldana left the scene and later killed himself in a nearby apartment.
The shooting remains under investigation.
© 2020 Associated Press