SMITHFIELD, N.C. — A North Carolina sheriff's office has accused a man of committing multiple child sex offenses at the church where he was a Sunday school teacher.
The Johnston County Sheriff's Office told news outlets multiple charges were filed against 34-year-old Jonathan Young of Benson, including first-degree rape of a child and indecent liberties with a child.
Young was a Sunday school teacher at Firstborn Baptist Church in Benson.
Sheriff's Office Capt. Jeff Caldwell said the offenses were first reported in 2014 but go back years. One victim who is now 19 told investigators she was assaulted between the ages of 7 and 15.
Caldwell said an investigation is continuing.
Young is jailed on a $1 million bond.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Girl injured in apparent shark attack near Myrtle Beach pier
- Flames, smoke damage popular family-owned restaurant in Mooresville
- Can you pass the test those applying for US citizenship have to take?
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Fourth of July forecast outlook
- Sunday school teacher accused of child sex offenses at NC church
- Where you can watch fireworks across Charlotte