WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A teacher in North Carolina is being accused of having sex with a female student.
News outlets report 43-year-old Brian Jacob Weavil was charged Wednesday with statutory sex offense of a child, taking indecent liberties, and sex offense involving a teacher against a student.
A news press release from the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office said a school resource officer was notified of the offense that happened in June 2018.
Weavil went on an approved leave in August 2018 but continued working as a substitute teacher. He was suspended without pay in April, pending the outcome of the investigation.
Weavil's attorney Karen Gerber said the charges are only accusations and that they are adamantly denied.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man who has been arrested 63 times assaults three officers, police say
- Gunmen on the run after firing at driver, causing 3-car crash, police say
- Kids seeking candy trapped in NC store by sex offender, police say
- CMPD: Car sped away from traffic stop and crashed into tree, killing driver
- Customer shot in Steak ‘n Shake robbery says cook killed was ‘the hero'
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.