HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. - A North Carolina teacher has been charged with threatening to "shoot up" her school.
A news release from the Orange County Sheriff's Office says Kristen Thompson was arrested Tuesday on a felony charge of communicating a threat of mass violence.
The sheriff's office says Thompson abruptly resigned Friday from Pathways Elementary School in Hillsborough. It says other teachers reported that Thompson "made threats to shoot up the school."
A phone listing for Thompson rang unanswered Tuesday afternoon. A sheriff's spokeswoman said investigators didn't have information on whether Thompson has a lawyer who can speak on her behalf.
Thompson's name didn't appear on the school's website Tuesday, but an archived version indicated that she worked with children in the special education program.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Horrified NC mom watches son, boyfriend drown as rip current drags them out to sea
- 1 killed, 2 others injured when car slams into pole on I-77 in Huntersville
- Mom of 5 slain South Carolina children sobs on stand at ex-husband's trial
- FORECAST: Short term relief from humidity before heat wave rolls in
- CMPD: Man caught moaning, peeping through woman's bedroom window
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.