WILMINGTON, N.C. — As Hurricane Florence approaches the East Coast, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington issued a mandatory evacuation for students starting at noon on Monday.
The National Hurricane Center says it is still too early to predict the hurricane's exact path, but a huge coastal area from northern Florida to North Carolina has been urged to remain on guard for the possibility of a major hit later in the week.
- Hurricane season is officially here: How much damage will 2018 bring?
- Will a hurricane be named after you this season? 2018 storm names are here
- What is the Saffir-Simpson scale; how does it work; is there a Category 6?
- How dangerous is a hurricane? Understanding hurricane categories
- Hurricane, tropical storm and tropical depression: What's the difference?
- What is a storm surge and why is it dangerous?
- 9 weather terms you should know when preparing for a hurricane
- Everything you need to know to prepare for hurricane season
- How to use the internet during the storm when your internet is down
- Taking photos of your home before a storm can speed up insurance process
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
© 2020 Associated Press