ORANGEBURG, S.C. — Officials said a 9-year-old boy was accidentally killed by his father while hunting in South Carolina on Thanksgiving.
News outlets report Colton Williams was fatally shot Thursday in Springfield in Orangeburg County.
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources said relatives told investigators that Williams was out rabbit hunting with his dad and a family friend when his father accidentally shot him.
Williams was a fourth-grader who went to Kelly Edwards Elementary School in Williston.
The school district wrote on its Facebook page that counselors will be at the school Monday and will be available throughout the week and longer if needed.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Stores placed on lockdown after fights break out at Carolina Place Mall
- Man charged with deadly southeast Charlotte shooting, CMPD says
- Contracted Santa worker says negative criticism was racially driven
- Traffic delayed for hours at Concord Mills on Black Friday
- Man arrested for sitting naked in car outside Kohl's on Black Friday, police say