The State of Columbia reports the Richland County Council approved funding last week to help cover residents' day-to-day needs.
Last month, more than 400 residents of the Allen Benedict Court public housing complex were evacuated due to widespread natural gas leaks. Two men died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the apartments run by the Columbia Housing Authority.
Displaced residents have been temporarily housed at hotels, and many have been provided federal rental assistance vouchers- though not all people with rental vouchers are able to immediately find new landlords that'll accept them.
The county's $150,000 assistance grant works out to about $365 per Allen Benedict resident.
Information from: The State, http://www.thestate.com
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.