Police said the shooting happened around 2 a.m. Saturday and the officers were not injured.
The Horry County Coroner's Office identified the dead man as 32-year-old Matthew Graham.
No other details about the shooting were released. The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.
Steve Banks told The Sun News that the man who was shot stole a mountain bike from his garage about three hours before the shooting and was pedaling the bike down the street being chased by police cars with their lights on just before he heard several shots fired.
Information from: The Sun News, http://www.thesunnews.com/
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Teen shot to death leaving house party in north Charlotte, police say
- Man arrested after fight at convenience store leads to deadly shooting
- Chase crossing state line leads to deputy-involved shooting in Lancaster County
- FORECAST: Cold front brings much needed rain to parts of Charlotte region
- Mysterious lights in sky off North Carolina's Outer Banks caught on camera
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.