GREENVILLE, S.C. — Deputies in South Carolina have increased patrols after receiving new reports of people dressed as clowns trying to lure children into the woods.
News outlets report that Greenville County sheriff's deputies were called to an apartment complex about 8:20 p.m. Monday that is about 20 minutes from a complex where people reporting seeing clowns last week.
Deputies responding to the report last week said they found no evidence of anyone in the woods behind Fleetwood Manor Apartments.
A family who called Monday night from Emerald Commons apartments said a child saw a man wearing a clown mask in woods near the complex.
Deputies said there was a third report of someone dressed as a clown about 10 p.m. at Shemwood Apartments.
A 12-year-old told deputies that two clowns were in the backyard area.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Construction worker falls off bridge, drowns in Catawba River, officials say
- Exonerated Charlotte man who served 25 years in prison sues city, investigators
- 'First Lady of NASCAR,' Betty Jane France, dies
- Parents warned about clown luring kids into woods in South Carolina
- Part of East Independence Boulevard shut down due to sinkhole
Cox Media Group