MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Emergency crews are searching for a 12-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming in the ocean at Myrtle Beach.
Myrtle Beach Police Lieutenant Joey Crosby tells local news outlets that crews began the search Wednesday afternoon after receiving a call about three distressed swimmers.
One of the swimmers was able to get out of the water and was treated at the scene. The second swimmer was pulled from the ocean by lifeguards and bystanders. The third swimmer is still missing.
Officials say the three people are related.
Battalion Chief Bruce Arnel says crews were using jet skis and a helicopter to search for the missing person. Crosby says beachgoers made a human chain to assist with rescue efforts.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Myrtle Beach officials search ocean for missing 12-year-old swimmer
- Crews continue search for missing boater on Lake Wylie
- MUST SEE: Steph Curry surprises basketball campers
- Man, woman dead, infant injured in possible murder-suicide
- Son gives update on Rev. Billy Graham's health
Cox Media Group