UNION, S.C. - Authorities said a 13-year-old South Carolina boy is facing charges after allegedly getting drunk at his middle school and giving whiskey to other students.
WYFF-TV reports the student at Sims Middle School in Union is charged with public drunkenness and possessing liquor.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
The student's name hasn't been released, and he is now in the custody of his mother.
Union County sheriff's deputies were called Friday and found the youth vomiting and losing consciousness in the nurse's office.
The principal searched the student's book bag and found nine empty mini bottles, a half-empty bottle and two unopened bottles.
Deputies said the youth took the alcohol from the home of his grandfather, who was unaware what had happened until contacted by police.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Convicted murderer causes $30K in damage during Sunday church service
- Leaders call for calm after CMPD releases body cam video of deadly shooting
- WATCH: Man eludes police after robbery, assault, chase through Charlotte
- FORECAST: Chilly start but temps will warm under sunny skies
- CMPD: Man led police on chase after firing 20 shots outside strip club
- Recall alert: Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies recalled
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.