SUNSET, S.C. - Authorities said a South Carolina home under construction has collapsed during a thunderstorm, killing two construction workers.
Pickens County Emergency Management Deputy Director Pierce Womack said two other workers were hurt in the collapse around 2 p.m. Thursday on the home on Lake Keowee near Sunset.
Womack said a storm with lightning and high winds was moving through during the collapse. He said emergency crews had to cut down fallen trees and avoid downed power lines to get to the workers.
In a statement, Womack said other workers on the site pulled their colleagues from the rubble before emergency crews arrived.
Womack did not know the conditions of the injured workers.
The names of the workers killed have not been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I'm never gonna be the same': Gastonia mom heartbroken after son shot to death
- Troopers speak out against 'exit jumping' on Charlotte interstates
- Raleigh father and son save grandfather from drowning at Ocean Isle Beach
- Cintra 'disappointed' with plan to convert I-77 shoulders into lanes
- FORECAST: Extreme heat, humidity will grip region through weekend
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.