HANAHAN, S.C. - After an 11-year-old South Carolina boy fatally shot his 10-year-old sister as they played with a gun, their mother has been arrested.
The Post and Courier report police said 30-year-old Bernadette Renae Owens is charged with unlawful conduct toward a child.
They said she left the children alone Oct. 5 in an unfurnished home littered with feces and food, and the loaded handgun was in a laundry basket on Owens' bedroom floor.
Hanahan police said the children were playing with it when the girl, Cabriya Lucas, was shot. She died before police arrived. Owens was arrested the next day and released after posting $80,000 bail. Chief Dennis Turner said police delayed announcing the arrest while the investigation was ongoing.
Police declined to say who is caring for the boy.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mom charged with murder after newborn baby found in trash bag in closet
- 102 pounds of marijuana valued at $204K seized in Rowan County
- Autopsy shows NC district court judge died of fentanyl, heroin overdose
- Charlotte Fire Department investigating second deadly house fire in 8 hours
- Pilot killed when helicopter hits power lines while crop dusting
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.