COLUMBIA, S.C. - A 16-year-old student has been arrested and expelled from a private Catholic school after posting racist videos that showed him shooting a box he said represents black people.
Authorities say the videos were made in May, weeks before school let out for the summer and the teen also threatened to shoot up the school while out on break.
The State newspaper obtained a police report from the Richland County Sheriff's Department saying investigators were first shown the videos on July 15.
Cardinal Newman sent a letter to parents after the newspaper put the story on its website. Diocese of Charleston spokeswoman Maria Aselage said church officials determined the danger to students was minimal since school was out and police were investigating.
The teen was charged with making student threats.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Dayton, Ohio, shooting: Suspect and 9 others dead, 26 wounded in city's Oregon District
- At least 20 dead, more than two dozen injured in El Paso Walmart mass shooting
- Man killed by officer during domestic dispute inside home identified
- Missing NC 4-year-old found in Texas with human traffickers
- FORECAST: Rain, storms continue through Sunday as temps cool down
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.