FOUNTAIN INN, S.C. - The South Carolina Law Enforcement Department says a police officer was being dragged by a fleeing car and fatally shot the car's driver.
SLED spokesman Thom Berry tells news outlets that the officer pulled over a car early Tuesday and noticed it had a stolen license plate. He says the officer and driver got into a struggle and the driver got back into the car and tried to drive off, dragging the officer.
He says the officer then fired at least one gunshot at the driver. The coroner's office has identified the driver as 24-year-old Chadwick Dale Martin Jr. An autopsy was set for Wednesday.
Authorities haven't released the identity of the officer, who Berry says suffered minor injuries.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Investigators in hazmat suits called to Mooresville home where 2 men died
- Armed robbers terrorize store employees at The Arboretum
- ‘Glass exploded in my face': Road rage victim says he has guardian angel
- FORECAST: Humidity arrives Thursday; severe weather on the horizon
- Woman beats underwear-clad man with bat after she finds him breaking into car
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.