BLYTHEWOOD, S.C. - A South Carolina Highway Patrol trooper was arrested on a DUI charge and later fired by the agency.
WSPA-TV reports Cpl. Stephen McDowell was arrested Thursday for driving under the influence, less than 0.10. The state Department of Public Safety says McDowell was off-duty and driving his personal vehicle at the time of arrest.
Bond was set at $90. It was unknown if he's represented by an attorney.
Meanwhile, the department said in a statement Friday that McDowell was also fired Thursday "for improper conduct/conduct unbecoming a state employee and arrest."
McDowell had been with the department since May 2008.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man in custody, accused of threatening to hang Rowan County judge
- SC teacher's letter of resignation goes viral after quitting mid-year
- Man, apparently upset, damages former Gov. Pat McCrory's car with large tree limb
- FORECAST: Scattered showers linger as crews survey storm damage across Carolinas
- 2 killed, 1 injured after police chase ends in fiery crash in York County
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.