CONWAY, S.C. - Prosecutors in South Carolina have announced that a 16-year-old accused of sexually assaulting a 71-year-old woman will be tried as an adult.
The 15th Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s Office announced Wednesday that Nicholas O. Rios will be prosecuted as an adult on attempted murder, first-degree criminal sexual conduct, burglary and kidnapping charges.
An assistant solicitor said “the seriousness of the crime” called for adult prosecution.
Horry County police said officers responded to a Surfside Beach home in July for a possible sexual assault. A police report obtained by news outlets says the victim told emergency personnel she was injured in a fall.
The report says responders found the circumstances suspicious and called police. On the way to the hospital, the woman revealed she’d been attacked by an intruder.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'It doesn't make me feel safe': Men say they were randomly attacked in uptown
- Roanoke, Virginia, manhunt: City schools closed as police search for murder suspect
- Report: 19-year-old robbed, kidnapped at Ballantyne shopping center
- FORECAST: Frigid temps grip Carolinas, more rain on the way
- Home for sale goes up in flames hours after offer made to buy it
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.