YORK, S.C. - A 27-year-old man has been sentenced to 17 years in a South Carolina prison after shooting a friend six times who got angry at him for playing with a gun.
Brandon McMoore pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter Thursday as part of a plea deal.
Prosecutors say McMoore shot and killed Darryl Stewart in April 2017 in a Rock Hill home.
Authorities say Stewart got mad at McMoore when McMoore started playing with a gun and threatened to get a weapon himself. McMoore shot Stewart six times as he came out of a bedroom. He was not armed.
McMoore submitted an Alford plea, where he doesn't admit the crime, but agrees there is overwhelming evidence to convict him.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Former SC deputy gets no prison time for sex while on duty, in uniform
- Student charged after video captures 'disturbing' attack at York County school
- 2 charged in connection with Stanly County meth bust
- FORECAST: Heavy downpours continue Saturday as stronger system pushes into area
- Several managers sue Mooresville-based Lowe's, claim 'illegal pay practices'
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.