Coronavirus: Michigan husband, wife die of COVID-19 one minute apart

Coronavirus: Couple die from virus within a minute of each other

JACKSON, Mich. — A Michigan couple married for 47 years “did almost everything together.” On Nov. 24, they died within a minute of each other, two more victims of the coronavirus pandemic.

Leslie and Patricia McWaters, of Jackson, were married for 47 years. Family members wrote in the couple’s joint obituary that “LD and Pat” died at 4:23 p.m. at a hospital in their hometown, the Detroit Free Press reported. They were 75 and 78, respectively, and were born in Jackson, the newspaper reported.

Content Continues Below

“Those of us that know them, know that mom went first and said, ‘LD, it’s time to go!’” according to the obituary.

Patricia Sipes McWaters, described as “the boss,” was a registered nurse for 35 years in a hospital operating room. Leslie McWaters was a truck driver.

The couple, married on April 16, 1973, raised two daughters, had three grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, The Washington Post reported.

They first met at Julie’s Bar & Grill in Jackson and loved to go dancing there, according to their obituary. Leslie McWaters was a U.S. Navy veteran whose true specialty was making strawberry booze for the chili cook-off.

He “had more friends than anyone could count and he loved them all dearly,” family members said.

During the summers, the couple hosted family pool parties, where Patricia McWaters “made way too much food.”

One of the couple’s daughters, Joanna Sisk, told the Free Press that her parents likely got COVID-19 after dining out at restaurants. Sisk said she wanted her parents to stay home, but they believed that remaining at home was not the way to live their lives, the newspaper reported.

Sisk said her parents regretted that decision after becoming ill.

“I can tell you after they got COVID, they were both extremely regretful because they didn’t really take their own words to heart that it would actually take their lives,” Sisk told the Post.

After going to the hospital together, they “went to heaven together” a week later, Sisk told the Free Press.

“People should be worried, and they should be concerned and take (COVID-19) seriously,” Sisk told the newspaper. “It’s not difficult, when you have to run to Meijer to put a mask on and do the things that need to be done. I don’t want one other family to have to go through what our family has had to go through.”

The family has asked that instead of flowers, contributions should be made to The Humane Society of the United States Disaster Relief Fund or to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, WXYZ reported.

More coronavirus pandemic coverage:

Leslie and Patricia McWaters died a minute apart from the coronavirus.
Leslie and Patricia McWaters died a minute apart from the coronavirus. (Francis Dean/Corbis via Getty Images)