In an effort to show the iron has not oxidized, former undisputed heavy weight champion Mike Tyson, who has not fought professionally in 15 years, will face Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition match.
Jones, a former four-division world champion, last fought in 2018.
"I've been trying to enjoy retirement, but people don't seem to want to let me retire," Jones, 51, said last month. "They keep calling me, telling me that Mike wants to come back, and that you'd be a great opponent for Mike."
Tyson, 54, posted a video Thursday on social media featuring Jones and himself promoting the upcoming fight.
It's part of Tyson's "Legends Only League" which aims to give aging or retired athletes a platform to perform.
"We're polishing up old stars and making them shine again," Tyson said promoting the organization.
The fight will be sanctioned under California State Athletic Commission rules, CBS News reported. Jones and Tyson will wear large gloves. The intent is not to score a knockout.
Rumors of Tyson wanting back in the ring began swirling earlier this year. He posted training videos in May and then again earlier this month. At the time, the only card he was on was a “fight” with a shark for a “Shark Week” segment in August.
Tyson's last fight ended in the sixth round against Kevin McBride.
Jones won middleweight, super middleweight, light and heavy weight titles during his legendary career.
“We always wanted to see it, but I would’ve preferred it back then,” Jones said. “Tyson is a hell of a specimen still. Still a problem to deal with. But at the same time, life is life, you only live once. You want to know what it’s like, you go in there and see. You still gotta see it.”
Cox Media Group