• Women suing Nissan over carbon-monoxide poisoning

    By: Jason Stoogenke


    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A local mother and daughter are suing a car company over its keyless ignition system. 

    They said they didn’t know the vehicle continued to run in their garage overnight and that they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Luz Bedoya and Luz Lazo used to live in Mooresville.

    They had a 2009 Nissan Murano, which had keyless ignition. 

    Their lawyer, Randall Phillips, said the SUV’s engine ran all night, pumping carbon monoxide through the house as they slept.

    "It was frightening," Phillips said. "They suffered pretty severe carbon-monoxide poisoning. They were hospitalized for days."

    They said Nissan should have designed the keyless ignition system better and warned people about the alleged dangers because keyless ignition was such a new technology at the time. 

    "It introduced a totally new hazard into the operation of a vehicle and that hazard, we believe, was not addressed properly," Phillips said.

    Nissan said it doesn't comment on pending litigation.

    Action 9's covered similar cases involving other automakers.

    In 2012, Pfeiffer University professor Ray Harrington parked his vehicle in the garage of his Davidson townhouse, walked inside, went to sleep and never woke up. Harrington's car had keyless ignition.  Apparently, he left it running in the garage by accident and died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    In 2013, in Greenville, South Carolina, the Thomasons had celebrated 50 years of marriage. Their son believes their car ran all night in the garage. Both also died.

    Many newer cars and trucks have safeguards like automatic shutoffs and warning beeps, but many older models still on the road, have keyless ignition but not the protections. 

    Suggestions on how to keep your home safe:

    • Pay attention.
    • Take the key fob with you, if your vehicle has one that beeps.
    • Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors.

    Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

    Next Up: