Does your daily commute take you through a school zone? Up until recently, they were probably pretty empty – to the point where you didn’t even notice you were driving through one. But school is back in session and things are about to get pretty busy out on the road. Toyota of N Charlotte is here to discuss pedestrian safety and how you can implement it in school zones as both driver and walker.
Pedestrian safety tips for walking
When you’re traveling on foot in a school zone, it’s important to use these N Charlotte Toyota rules for pedestrian safety:
- Stay aware of your surroundings – you’ll need to look out for cars that aren’t following road rules. Avoid texting while walking (or using your phone at all), and if you’re wearing headphones ensure that the volume is low so you can still hear what’s going on around you.
- Use the crosswalks. Jaywalking is dangerous and can lead to an accident. Before you cross the crosswalks, ensure they are clear of cars and always be on the lookout for cars that are making turns on red lights. Also, if a car is blocking the crosswalk, wait for it to move out of the way before attempting to cross.
- Don’t get out of the car on the street- wait for your driver to pull into the loading/unloading zone to let you out so you don’t hold up traffic or cross at an undesignated place.
Pedestrian safety tips for driving
When you’re behind the wheel in a school zone, you have to be extra careful to adhere to the rules of pedestrian safety. Check out Toyota of N Charlotte’s tips:
- Never engage in distracted driving – put the phone away, keep your eyes on the road, and eat your breakfast before you leave the house. You need full attention on the road and what’s going on around you.
- Be mindful of the speed limit and stop signs – speeds tend to be lower in school zones and there are more places where you have to stop.
- Speaking of stop signs, be sure you come to a complete stop at stop signs and red lights and always look both ways before pulling through to ensure there aren’t any pedestrians crossing. Always check crosswalks, too, even on a green light!
- Be on the lookout for jaywalkers and people getting out of cars on the street, and also pay close attention to school buses that are coming to a stop to load and unload.
- Listen to the crossing guards! They’re there to direct traffic and safely escort students so pay attention to their instructions while in a school zone.
Want more tips, or need to get you and your family into a safe new Toyota for the school year? Call Toyota of N Charlotte today at (888) 883-3797. We’re open seven days a week until 10pm to help you get back to school as safely and efficiently as possible!
© 2018 Cox Media Group.