CHARLOTTE — Mecklenburg County has changed its plans for a field hospital in Charlotte in response to the COVID-19 virus.
It was supposed to be on the UNC Charlotte campus but on Tuesday night, commissioners talked about it being near uptown.
Officials said they don’t think they need the field hospital at UNCC but are asking for a mass care facility.
The 600-bed field hospital will likely require 700 staff members.
The Army Corps of Engineers is scouting sites, but it is possible the mass care site could be split between the campuses of Atrium Health and Novant Health.
There are three reasons why plans for the UNCC hospital have fallen through:
- Atrium and Novant have created space to bring more capacity in their facilities
- Officials said social distancing is working so far and the curve is starting to flatten
- Local officials have been told they will not get assistance for supplies or staffing from the federal or state government
County leaders said that is disappointing.
“I am saddened that we will not have any federal or state support to do it,” Commissioner Trever Fuller said. “We are blessed, we in Mecklenburg County, have resources to protect our people. I regret we have to do it alone.”
County leaders say they will be reimbursed for costs associated with the field hospital.
There are currently no plans to use UNCC as a site.
University officials halted the move-out process for the six dorms that were identified as potential facilities.
Hospital officials are projecting the surge to hit in May due to successful social distancing.
>> We’ll bring you LIVE updates on Channel 9 Eyewitness News. Get extended coverage on the free WSOC Now app on Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV.
© 2020 Cox Media Group