CHARLOTTE, N.C. — 19 years after orchestrating the murder of his pregnant girlfriend, former Panther Rae Carruth is being released from prison.
In 2001, Carruth was found guilty of conspiring to murder his then-girlfriend, Cherica Adams, who was pregnant with his child.
WATCH CHANNEL 9'S PRIMETIME SPECIAL:
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: Rae Carruth and The Son Who Survived, the investigation and the crime
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: Rae Carruth and The Son Who Survived, Chancellor Lee Adams
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: Rae Carruth and the Son Who Survived, the trial
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: Rae Carruth and the Son Who Survived, prison phone call
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: Rae Carruth and The Son Who Survived, the next chapter
>> Remember, you can watch our Carruth special programming anytime at home on Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV.
On Nov. 16, 1999, after leaving a movie theatre in south Charlotte, Carruth stopped his car in front of hers and another car pulled up beside her. The passenger in the other car shot her multiple times.
Doctors managed to deliver her baby, Chancellor Lee Adams. Cherica later died in the hospital.
- Appeals Court Rejects New Trial For Former Panthers Player Carruth
- Driver In Carruth Murder Case Released From Prison
- RAE CARRUTH IN JAIL: Rae Carruth's attorney shares new details
- VIDEO: Rae Carruth's attorney releases new details about death of pregnant girlfriend
- Rae Carruth moved to lighter-security prison in NC
- Carolina Panther Rae Carruth letter
- Ex-Panther Rae Carruth takes back word on pursuing relationship with son
- When Rae Carruth is set free, son he ordered dead may be at prison gates
- Saundra Adams receives special honor for helping domestic violence victims
- Saundra Adams looks forward to Rae Carruth's release from prison
- EXCLUSIVE: Saundra, Chancellor Adams' new mission helps change lives
- Judge to decide if Carruth is eligible for change in custody level
- Ex-NFL player Carruth apologizes for role in shooting death
- Rae Carruth's son to celebrate late mother's birthday
- 15 years later: Rae Carruth's teenage son
- Rae Carruth's son turns 16
- IMAGES: Chancellor Adams, son of Rae Carruth, celebrates birthday
- Former Panther Rae Carruth's son celebrates 17th birthday
- IMAGES: Son of Rae Carruth honored at Monroe High School
- AGAINST ALL ODDS: Chancellor Lee Adams turns 18
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
© 2020 Cox Media Group