CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Republic National Convention will disrupt commuting into uptown next week. Expect road closures, parking restrictions and part of the Blue Line to close.
All road closures will be in effect at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 23, and lifted no later than 6 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 25.
Commuters and residents can anticipate travel impacts beginning at 6 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 23. Closures will be conducted by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and the Charlotte Department of Transportation. The implementation of closures will be staggered based on the progress of the work teams in placing equipment. Limited authorized vehicles include Law Enforcement & Public Safety vehicles.
- Southbound I-277 exit ramp onto S. College Street
- College Street between W. Morehead Street and E. Hill Street
- College Street between the Westin Hotel and 3rd Street
- Brevard Street between E. Stonewall Street and 3rd Street
- Stonewall Street between the Harvey Gant Building and S. Caldwell Street
- Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. from the middle of the block of MLK Blvd. (between S. Tryon Street & S. College Street) and S. Caldwell Street
- All alleyways and internal roadways within the above defined area
Lynx Light Rail: Lynx service will be modified beginning at 5:15 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 23, until 5:15 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 25. Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) will be closing all tracks on the Blue Line between the Carson station and 7th Street station. The Carson and & 7th Street stations will remain open, with only the MLK/Convention Center and Trade Street stations closed. All other stations remain open. A bus bridge will be provided for through riders between the Carson Street and 7th Street stations.
Wed. 8/19 starting at 6am-Tues. 8/25 7am
- Brevard St. between MLK & & 3rd St.
- 3rd St between Brevard & Caldwell St.
Thurs. 8/20 starting 7am-Tues. 8/25 7am
- MLK between McDowell St. & Brevard St.
Friday 8/21 starting at 6pm-Tues. 8/25 7am
© 2021 Cox Media Group