CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A busy south Charlotte road was closed for hours early Monday morning while police investigated a collision between a security patrol vehicle and a bicyclist.
Police said the crash happened around 4:40 a.m. on Randolph Road near Rutledge Avenue. Randolph Road was closed in both directions between North Sharon Amity Road and Sardis Road, but reopened just after 7 a.m.
The male bicyclist suffered serious injuries and was taken to Carolinas Medical Center.
Police have not released the victim's name and officers have not said if the driver of the security vehicle is facing charges.
Channel 9 could see investigators on the scene surrounding a white Guard-One Public Safety vehicle and collecting evidence.
Guard-One told Channel 9 that the driver was patrolling the road as a private security officer when the crash happened.
There is no word yet on what caused the collision.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Search widens for Ohio Facebook Live murder suspect
- Charlotte boy who died at rotating restaurant in Atlanta identified
- Bicyclist hospitalized after collision with public safety vehicle in Cotswold
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Monday forecast
- Congregation mourns Rowan Co. family killed in West Virginia crash
- WATCH: World rejoices as April the giraffe finally gives birth
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Bicyclist hospitalized after collision with public safety vehicle in Cotswold
Lifeguard rescues 19-year-old woman from drowning at Kannapolis YMCA
Woman riding bus robbed by teens at knifepoint
Barcelona van attack kills 13 in agonizing repeat for Europe
Search continues for 5 soldiers missing after Army Black Hawk crash