GASTONIA, N.C. - Police identified a chase suspect who they said crashed through a home and injured an elderly couple inside.
Detevin Butts was taken into custody.
Troopers said they tried to stop Butts for speeding Thursday night on Cox Road, but he sped off.
Speeds reached 100 mph before the vehicle crashed into the elderly couple's home on Ozark Avenue and Ida Street, troopers said.
Neighbor Kim Nguyen said the car went airborne.
"There was a car coming down the road, I seen it go up into the air and crash into the house," Nguyen said.
Investigators told Channel 9 that the elderly couple is deaf. They were taken to the hospital, but they are expected to be OK.
Authorities said they have been trying to catch the 22-year-old since June, when he led them on a chase through Mecklenburg County and then skipped his court appearance.
There were 11 warrants out for his arrest and now he has several more added to those, including reckless driving, driving without a license and driving the wrong way.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Panthers’ Thomas Davis donates $15K for Harding HS state champ rings
- Caregiver accused of sexually assaulting Charlotte girl for years
- Thieves caught stealing package off local family’s porch
- WATCH: Keith Monday’s weekend outlook
- Police: Elderly, deaf couple injured after chase suspect slams into home
- Police hunt for shooter in Charlottes 85th homicide of 2017
© 2018 Cox Media Group.