CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer was involved in a crash with another vehicle early Friday morning in Uptown Charlotte.
The crash happened just after midnight at E. 11th Street and N. Caldwell Street in front of First Ward Elementary School.
Police said the driver of the minivan was traveling down Caldwell Street and looked down, ran a stoplight and struck the CMPD SUV in the intersection. The CMPD officer hit the utility pole which then landed on the minivan.
The crash also took down several power lines.
Police said MEDIC transported the officer and the woman to the hospital. Both had minor injuries and are expected to be OK.
Police had to shut down Caldwell Street from 9th to 11th street and 11th street from Brevard to Caldwell. All streets re-opened around 5:30 a.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 2 dead, 4 injured in Charlotte shootings, CMPD says
- CMPD cruiser involved in crash in uptown Charlotte
- Charlotte businessman accused of $19 million scheme
- Man dies after being shocked with Taser in Badin, police chief says
- Reports: Woman dies after falling into vat of melted chocolate
© 2018 Cox Media Group.