CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A man was arrested and charged Thursday with killing his wife after she died from severe burn injuries she suffered during an assault, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.
Gary McGill is charged with murder in the death of his wife, Archie McGill.
Officers responded to an assault call May 21 at Leafcrest Lane. Police found Archie McGill with severe burn injuries. She told officers her husband poured alcohol on her while she was in bed and set her on fire. She was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center for treatment.
At the time, officers arrested and charged Gary McGill with attempted murder, malicious use of an incendiary device, burning personal property and carelessness with fire.
Archie McGill died Saturday, and the medical examiner confirmed her cause of death was related to the injuries she received during the assault. Gary McGill’s charges were upgraded to murder.
Gary McGill is due in court on Friday.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: Husband charged with burning, killing wife in south Charlotte
- WEB EXTRA VIDEO: The search for Kristen Modafferi: 20 years later
- RECALL: Incorrectly packaged birth control could result in unplanned pregnancy
- NC House approves bill allowing concealed guns to be carried without permit
- VIDEO: Vicki Graf’s Thursday evening forecast
- MUST SEE: NC woman catches 6-foot snake in living room with pillowcase
© 2017 Cox Media Group.