by: Stephanie Tinoco Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have identified the victim and suspect in the city’s 66th homicide of the year.
Officers responded to a call on Dogwood Avenue and when they arrived, they found William Rann Jr. shot to death.
Detectives said Michael Smith shot and killed Rann, and told Channel 9 the two men were related.
Officers took Smith into custody at the scene and charged him with murder.
Investigators have not said yet what led to the shooting.
No further details have been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Toddler struck in the face with 105 mph foul ball
- CMPD identifies suspect, victim in Charlotte's 66th homicide of 2017
- HURRICANE TRACKER: Maria strengthens after ravaging Puerto Rico
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Thursday forecast outlook
- Roush Fenway Racing responds to hidden camera lawsuit involving Greg Biffle
- Man sets fire to home, leads police on chase, attempts to set himself on fire
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
CMPD identifies suspect, victim in Charlotte's 66th homicide of 2017
Workers thought thief who stole restaurant van was new employee
CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Burglar prowls through Chantilly home
Travelers from SC will need passports for domestic flights in 2018
Trump: Drug czar nominee, Rep. Marino, withdrawing his name