CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police have arrested the gunman accused of shooting and killing another man Thursday night in west Charlotte.
Overnight, officers arrested and charged 28-year-old George Fernandez with murder in the shooting death of 23-year-old Jamario McNeely.
Officers said Fernandez shot McNeely around 7 p.m. on Pleasant Dale Drive, off Sam Wilson Road. Fernandez remained at the scene and agreed to speak with homicide detectives at CMPD headquarters, where he was charged with murder.
Detectives told Channel 9 they believe the two men knew each other but have not said what may have led to the shooting.
Fernandez will be in court Monday morning.
McNeely's death marked Charlotte's 56th homicide of 2017.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD identifies man shot to death during apparent robbery, carjacking
- CMPD identifies victim, suspect in Charlotte's 56th homicide of 2017
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Contenders look to make moves during second round
- New skyscraper will transform Charlotte's iconic skyline
- Cancellation of I-77 tolls could potentially cost NC millions, study says
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
© 2018 Cox Media Group.