CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are looking for the person they said shot a mother of four in the leg early Friday morning in east Charlotte.
Officers responded to the scene just before 5 a.m. on Anderson Street, off Sugar Creek Road. When they arrived they found the woman with a gunshot wound to the leg.
She was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
Detectives told Channel 9 that the brother of the man who lives in the house was sleeping in his car in the driveway. The homeowner's wife woke up to get ready for work when she reported hearing a commotion outside.
When she walked out the door to investigate, she said she saw someone trying to rob her brother-in-law, who was sleeping in the car.
She told officers that the suspect saw her and when she turned to run back inside the house, she was shot.
The woman's husband told Channel 9 he thinks the shooter is the same person who robbed the couple two weeks ago.
He said his wife is the mother of four children and is expected to be OK.
Police said the suspect did not get away with anything but no description has been released.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 83 United Blood Nation gang members arrested in 5-state raid
- MUGSHOTS: Dozens of Blood gang members arrested in gang crackdown
- CMPD: Mother of 4 shot after interrupting robbery outside home
- 9 Investigates: Twins accused of faking pregnancies while panhandling
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's weekend preview forecast
- MUST WATCH: Trio in custody after chase, crash in Chester Co.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.