RANDLEMAN, N.C. - Police say they found a 5-year-old girl locked inside a closet in her empty North Carolina house without food or water and burns, scratches and bruises on her body.
News outlets report that Randleman police went to the house Tuesday after someone reported a child was being physically and mentally abused. Officers reached the home and called out the child's name. They asked if she was OK and she responded, "No." The officers asked if she needed help and the girl replied, "Yes."
A police statement says 33-year-old Adam Joshua Byrd and 34-year-old Crystal Dawn Carnahan were charged with negligent child abuse and other crimes.
Carnahan was identified as the girl's caretaker and Byrd as her father. Both are in jail. Jail records don't indicate if they have attorneys.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 5-year-old NC girl found locked in closet without food
- Woman claims sexual assault on red-eye flight to Charlotte
- Jose expected to become a hurricane again in the Atlantic
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
- Homeowner shot during late night home invasion, attempted robbery
- Man shot to death during police confrontation in Myrtle Beach
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.