CONCORD, N.C. - A high school teacher has been arrested in Concord, accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a student, according to police.
Concord police were tipped off Monday about the relationship between a 17-year-old student and 23-year-old Katherine Ridenhour, a teacher at Cox Mill High School.
Further investigation corroborated the allegations that Ridenhour was engaged in a consensual relationship with the student, detectives said.
Police said the student involved was a boy and acts happened on campus.
Parents said they're fed up with these types of incidents.
"I don't know, something needs to be done because it's happening everywhere, daily," parent Lavonne Strickland said.
Ridenhour was arrested and charged with two counts of indecent liberties with a student. She will appear in court Thursday morning.
Ridenhour was hired in August 2016 as a family and consumer science teacher at Cox Mill High School. Parents said she also was a cheerleading coach.
“I think it’s appalling and I don’t understand why this keeps happening,” Parent Daisy Rawlins said. “I don’t understand why teachers think it’s OK to mess around with students.”
Cabarrus County Schools officials have not said if Ridenhour is still employed at the school.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- California gunman raised in NC; family 'appalled' by rampage
- Cox Mill HS teacher charged with indecent liberties with student
- Woman in custody following high-speed chase across 3 counties
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- School cafeteria worker in Rock Hill says students served moldy bread
- RAW VIDEO: Davidson woman 'sings out' against hotel development
© 2018 Cox Media Group.