CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. - Fire investigators are trying to figure out what started a massive overnight house fire in Catawba County.
Six different fire departments were called around 2:30 a.m. to the farmhouse on Hot Rod Road, southwest of the town of Catawba.
Family members told Channel 9 that the man who lived there heard noises in the house and thought it was being broken into. When he went to investigate, he saw the flames near the bathroom.
He was able to make it out safely.
Channel 9’s Dave Faherty was the only local reporter on the scene and reported seeing heavy smoke still rising from the house. Firefighters said there were several explosions caused by propane tanks on the property.
The fire chief told Channel 9 that he could see the glow from the fire as soon as he stepped out the door, two miles away.
The house, which was built in the late 1800's, was destroyed and the American Red Cross was called to help the owner.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Medical examiner says Erica Parsons died from 'homicidal violence'
- Union Co. sheriff identifies man who led deputies on chase through fields
- Flames, explosions destroy 19th century Catawba Co. farmhouse
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Texas woman killed her husband, 2 sons before killing herself at resort, police say
© 2018 Cox Media Group.