by: Joe Bruno Updated:
MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. - Mecklenburg County commissioners talked about how to move forward Tuesday after the health department failed to notify nearly 200 patients about abnormal Pap smear tests.
The county health director says the crisis is under control and now the focus is to make sure this doesn't happen again
County leaders say all 185 women have been notified about their results.
Of those 185, only 16 women need to still receive a specialty exam and all of their appointments have been scheduled.
The county is planning on hiring the consulting firm Navigant for $261,000.
- Emails show discussion about notifying patients of abnormal test results
- Officials tracking down 5 women not notified of abnormal Pap results
- Mecklenburg County manager addresses delayed Pap smear test results
- Director: 4 no longer with health dept. after Pap smear results never sent
The firm will provide an external review of clinical operations, lab workflow and patient quality over the next five-and-a-half months
Four employees are no longer working with the county because of the incident, three of them came to the county from Carolinas Healthcare System and the other was previously employee of the year.
The Mecklenburg County Health Department is under review by the North Carolina Department of Public Health.
The investigation is ongoing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Business owners taking action after 5 stabbed at hookah bar
- WATCH: Linville Gorge wildfire spreads to 600 acres in Burke County
- Card skimmer found on Rock Hill ATM, police say
- Tips pour in after teen taken by teacher triggers nationwide alert
- Missing NC teen found dead in woods
- Man on run after attempted 'execution-style' slaying in Badin
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Health Dept. moves forward after failing to notify patients of test results
The Latest: 'Bathroom law' compromise approved by Senate
Gastonia man faces murder charge after Mount Holly shooting
15-year-old drove minivan during chase, deadly crash, sources say
13 killed, 2 hurt when church bus and truck crash in Texas