CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A hit-and-run at a north Charlotte Waffle House ended in a shootout on the University of North Carolina at Charlotte campus.
According to an alert sent out by the school, the incident began Saturday around 2:15 a.m. when a vehicle with four people inside hit another vehicle at a Waffle House on North Tryon Street and drove away from the scene.
- Police make fourth arrest in series of armed robberies, including at UNCC
- READ MORE: 3 arrested after series of armed robberies, including at UNC Charlotte
- Men burst into apartment near UNCC with guns, rob students
- Man walked into UNCC dorm, assaulted female student, police say
- Surveillance pictures released of sex assault suspect near UNCC
Officials said the driver in the vehicle that was hit began following the other vehicle, driven by 21-year-old Jaylen Coad, who opened fire near Lot 27 on the UNCC campus. The hit-and-run victim returned fire, officials said.
No one was hurt during the altercation. Students are on spring break, so the school wasn't put on a lockdown.
UNCC officials said the victim contacted the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police while the incident was happening and officers took the four people in the alleged hit-and-run vehicle into custody off-campus near J.W. Clay Boulevard.
Police said Coad was arrested.
“We all know that we're going to school in Charlotte. We know there are risks living in a big city,” student Madison Cross said.
Officials said none of the people involved in the incident are affiliated with UNCC and there was no threat to the campus community.
“It's definitely crazy," said Tanner Kirby, who was visiting the UNCC campus. "I mean, it's something that you don't expect seeing around here.”
Police are continuing to investigate the incident, officials said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman whose bones were found in home's walls likely fell to death through attic floor, police say
- Hit-and-run leads to 4 arrests, shootout at UNCC campus, officials say
- 14-year-old armed robbery suspect arrested after pursuit, school lockdowns
- WATCH: Keith Monday’s Saturday forecast outlook
- FINAL CRUSADE: Rev. Graham's children carry on his holy message
© 2018 Cox Media Group.