Man shot during large street fight outside South End bar, police say

by: Glenn Counts Updated:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are searching for the suspect who shot a man after an apparent street fight outside a club in South End.

Officers were called around 2:45 a.m. to the scene on East Carson Boulevard at South Tryon Street, near the Midnight Diner.

 

 

Police told Channel 9 that an argument flared up between two men at the old Amos' Southend.

[IMAGES: Man shot during large street fight outside South End club, police say]

Their fight spilled out into the roadway and a crowd of 30 to 40 people formed a ring around the men as they fought in the middle of South Tryon Street, according to investigators.

A witness, who did not want to be identified, heard the commotion that led up to the incident.

"It kept seeming like it was getting more escalated and more escalated and then I heard a pop so I started jogging toward the Midnight Diner," the witness said.

Police said one of the two men at the center of the fight pulled out a gun and shot the other man in the arm.

Investigators told Channel 9 that the victim got in his car and drove a short distance to the Midnight Diner, where he saw police officers and parked to get help.

 

 

"By the time I got up to the police at the Midnight Diner, there was a man talking with the police and he seemed to be staggering and he kept saying, 'I can't feel my arm. I can't feel my arm,'" the witness said.

He was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Detectives think it's possible that those in the street fight crowd were there for the large events in town, including the Panthers preseason game at Bank of America Stadium and the PGA Championship in Quail Hollow.

 

 

No arrests have been made and no suspect description has been released.

Police don't believe any security cameras were at that intersection, so they don't think the fight was caught on camera.

(Click PLAY to watch footage from the crime scene investigation)

On Wednesday, police revealed new details and released surveillance photos in a shooting at the Midnight Diner last month.

Officers have increased their presence because of several recent shootings at the diner, including the most recent on July 31 where a man shot another man he didn’t know five times.

[READ MORE: Security questions arise after shooting outside Midnight Diner]

That victim survived and is recovering.

CMPD told Channel 9 that the diner is cooperating and is considering changing its hours.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

Next Up: