ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — Rowan County Sheriff's deputies said they’ve arrested a man accused in a stabbing.
Investigators said they’ve charged Michael Battle with assault with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury with intent to kill, robbery with a dangerous weapon and second-degree kidnapping.
Officials said they were called to Thunder Road in China Grove earlier this month, where they found a 28-year-old female suffering from several stab wounds, including one to the neck.
The victim was transported to CMC-Northeast and was being treated for serious stab wounds.
Authorities said during the initial investigation, Battle was identified as the suspect. Battle is the victim's boyfriend.
Officers from the Cornelius Police Department said on Oct. 15, they responded to reports of a suspicious vehicle in a store parking lot. Police identified the driver as Battle.
Police said Battle fled the parking lot and led Cornelius officers on a chase, but escaped arrest. Cornelius police then obtained arrest warrants for Battle for the chase.
In addition to the new warrants, deputies said Battle was wanted for failure to pay child support.
Officials said Battle was added to the Rowan County Sheriff's "Most Wanted List."
Battle has been accused of crimes like assaulting women several times in the past, according to court records.
He often walked away without a conviction, which included a case dismissed in 2003.
He was also found not guilty in two cases in 2006 and 2012.
In Cabarrus County, Battle was charged with violating a domestic violence protection order twice and pointing a gun and communicating threats.
Those charges were dismissed.
"You can love an abuser," said Renee Bradshaw, who works with domestic violence victims.
She said fear often causes victims to back out of criminal cases.
"He apologizes, and she’s convinced he has really changed,” Bradshaw said. “Everything is OK. So, if she's filed a 50B (domestic violence protection order,) she drops it. It could be a month or two, and they're back together again.
On Monday, investigators said they received information that Battle was near the Walmart on Dale Earnhardt Boulevard in Kannapolis driving a 2002 blue Ford Explorer.
Officials said they found Battle parked in the vehicle at an apartment complex behind the Academy Sports store.
Battle was taken to jail and given no bond until he appears in court.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'I saw the gun and had to run': Student shot, killed by classmate at Butler High School
- WATCH: Charlotte woman fired after video of 'harassing' rant goes viral
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast update
- Rae Carruth settles in Pennsylvania after finishing 18-year prison sentence
- Prosecutors to seek death penalty against man accused in Pittsburgh synagogue massacre
Cox Media Group




