CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police had to close a busy west Charlotte road for hours Tuesday morning after they said a truck crashed into a pole and took down power lines.
Sam Wilson Road, between Interstate 85 and Moores Chapel Road, was blocked after a truck crashed into a pole around 2:30 a.m.
A Duke Energy crew started making progress on repairs close to 5:30 a.m., as they tried to get the lines back up.
Police told Channel 9 that a U.S. postal truck was heading toward I-85 when it hit the low-hanging power lines. A pole snapped, and lodged into the side of the vehicle’s cabin.
The driver was taken to the hospital but will be OK. Police said he was pretty shaken up.
The truck wasn't carrying anything, which helped speed up the cleanup operation. Crews from AT&T and Duke Energy were able to open the road before 10 a.m.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police identify 14-year-old girl found shot to death in Mount Holly park
- VIDEO: Tar Heels take title over Gonzaga, 6th in school history
- Sources: Kidnapped girl may have witnessed grandparents' murders
- Motorcycle racer dies days after violent crash at Charlotte dirt track
- Fans rejoice across the Carolinas after UNC captures NCAA title
- VIDEO: College student dies after choking on pancakes during sorority event
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Postal truck brings down power lines, pole near I-85
TRACKING: Flood Watch in effect as Charlotte sees record rainfall
Charlotte couple, mother accused of sex trafficking minors to Myrtle Beach
Mother, daughter killed in three-car crash in Concord, troopers say
Haley won't rule out strike vs North Korea for nuke testing