ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. - The North Carolina Highway Patrol said Jose Antero Rodriguez was struck and killed in a deputy-involved crash late Tuesday night.
Authorities were called at approximately 10:05 p.m. Tuesday to the intersection of Foxfire Drive and Rowan Mill Road in Salisbury.
Rodriguez, a 31-year-old Salisbury resident, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities told Channel 9 that Deputy James Corriher was coming home from mandatory training after 10 p.m. and was driving on Rowan Mill Road and did not see Rodriguez walking before the collision.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office, Salisbury Police Department and the N.C. State Highway Patrol responded to the scene.
Corriher will receive counseling before returning to work, according to the sheriff.
The road was closed until around 2:30 a.m.
Officials have not said yet whether Corriher will be charged.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police identify man killed in west Charlotte drive-by shooting
- Detectives investigating if body found in Statesville woods is missing man
- Troopers involved in chase that ends with wreck in Anson County
- VIDEO: Keith Monday's Wednesday morning forecast
- Troopers investigating after deputy struck, killed pedestrian in Salisbury
- WATCH: Sinkhole in Hickory shuts down major roadway
© 2017 Cox Media Group.