Charlotte's new fire chief sworn in, vows to move department forward

This browser does not support the video element.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Complete with pomp and circumstance, Charlotte’s new fire chief was sworn in by Mayor Vi Lyles on Monday morning.

Bagpipes and drums set the tone for the ceremony, which was attended by a full house of firefighters and city officials. A contingent of friends and family from Reginald Johnson's former position in Fairfax, Virginia were also in attendance.

Johnson was hired last month to become the 17th chief in the history of the Charlotte Fire Department, and already has an ambitious list of things he wants to accomplish.

Past coverage:

He said he plans to visit all 42 Charlotte fire stations and all three shifts and said he's going to listen to firefighters who have dealt with controversy over the last few years.

The new chief alluded to the controversies in his opening remarks and said he wants to make the department better.

“Better by addressing diversity, recruitment, implementing procedures for effective two-way communication. And ensuring equal fair and just treatment of all members,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he will help move the department forward, and one of his top priorities is taking a look at the diversity within it. He wants to review the process for recruitment, hiring and promotions to make sure no one is skipped over.

The chief also said CFD will be a department where discrimination and retaliation will be replaced by respect and transparency.

Some firefighters have been telling Channel 9 for years that it has been a problem, especially for women and minorities who claim they've been harassed, intimidated and passed over unfairly for promotions.

Johnson replaces former Fire Chief Jon Hannan, who retired last year.

At the time, sources said Hannan retired because his job was in jeopardy after claims of low morale and the trial of former arson investigator Crystal Eschert.

Eschert sued in 2016, saying the Charlotte Fire Department fired her in retaliation for raising concerns over building safety.

A jury awarded Eschert $1.5 million dollars.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: