Monroe police say officer-involved shooting began with suspicious person call

This browser does not support the video element.

MONROE, N.C. — The Monroe Police Department said an officer shot someone Sunday night after someone called to report a suspicious person.

It happened around 10 p.m. on Alda Drive. Investigators with the Monroe Police Department and the State Bureau of Investigation remained on scene for around six hours overnight.

Police say when the first officer arrived on scene, something transpired and the officer shot their gun.

At the scene, Channel 9 was able to see a bike in the middle of the street and evidence markers nearby.

No officers were injured in the shooting, and the community is not in danger, officials said.

Police say one person was taken the hospital. So far, there is no update on their condition.

Channel 9 is asking for more information about the person shot, including their age, and what led up to the shooting.

This is a developing story. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.