ANSON COUNTY, N.C. — The North Carolina State Board of Elections is considering complaints filed against an Anson County Board of Elections member.
For months, Channel 9’s Gina Esposito has been covering issues with the board of elections.
Gina learned the complaints stem from an incident involving the appointed elections director.
Channel 9’s Gina Esposito obtained copies of complaints filed against an Anson County Board of Elections member Ross Streater.
They claim Streater communicated threats toward the elections director. Streater told me he denies those claims.
Earlier this month, the state board of elections appointed Gerald Poplin of Stanly County to serve as Anson County’s interim elections director.
Later that day -- there was an incident during a special board of elections meeting -- that led to complaints filed with the North Carolina Board of Elections.
In a sheriff’s office report, it accuses democratic board member Ross Streater of ‘communicating threats’ of harm toward Poplin.
Charges were not filed, and Streater told Channel 9 that he filed his own report.
“He started pointing his fingers in my face ... at that point of time, he said, ‘That’s why I was sent down to Anson County to take care of people like you.’ I said, ‘Well, we can just go to the middle of the street and talk about it.’ I didn’t say fight or anything like that,” said Ross Streater, (D) Anson County Board of Elections.
Three republican board members filed complaints against Streater with the state BOE, claiming Streater’s comment ‘implied physical injury.’
“I would hope I would the state would look at the whole operation of the Anson County Board of Elections, not just what happened in that meeting,” Streater said.
Streater says he has felt left out of important conversations, and he disputes other claims made about him.
Another board member wrote: “When Streater does keep his composure, he does contribute useful information. At times it seems that his job is to antagonize his opposition; usually it is directed at our board’s chairperson.”
He says one of Streater’s comments to the chair was racial in nature.
Gina Esposito did speak with Poplin. He didn’t discuss the complaints against Streater. He did say he plans to resign on Thursday due to health reasons.
The state appointed Erika Dimas of Monroe to replace him as interim director. She was hired as deputy director, but will serve in the director role until they can find a permanent hire.
Channel 9 is monitoring the North Carolina State Board of Elections meeting, and will have an update when one is available. The board could move to dismiss the complaints or move into an evidentiary hearing at a future meeting.