by: Joe Bruno Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Three people have been arrested in connection with an assault on former NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Mike Wallace and his daughter after a Rascal Flatts concert Friday night in Charlotte, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
Wallace posted a note on Facebook about the assault, which he said sent him and his adult daughter Lindsey Wallace Van Wingerden to the hospital.
He sat down with Channel 9 Sunday evening to share his horrifying story.
Wallace told Eyewitness News that he was in the parking lot and said the question that prompted the attack was, “How did you like the show?”
According to Wallace, a group of people started screaming at him and then beat him up after he asked that question.
Wallace was at the show with his family and his daughter tried to help him, but she said the group then turned on her.
The 57-year-old said he suffered a concussion. His daughter was also rushed to the hospital after she tried to protect her father.
She said she can't comprehend the motives behind the fight.
As my brother Mike laid "Knocked Out" 3 men continued to kick Mike in the face while Mike was "Knocked Out". pic.twitter.com/w74DJnuIJn— Kenny Wallace (@Kenny_Wallace) June 19, 2016
“It scares us to think we can't even go to a concert together without someone going to attack you or what's going to happen next,” Wallace Van Wingerden said.
Wallace received 12 stitches and lost three teeth in the fight, but told Channel 9 his greater concern was for his daughter.
“I woke up. I see my daughter laying on the ground, which is devastating for a father,” he said. “I mean, that's the worst thing in the world.”
“We were told on site that CMPD at the PNC Theater, that they've dealt with this group on two or three separate occasions so far this concert season,” Wallace said. “The people this happened with are actual contractors with PNC. They're maintenance crews. Their company provides maintenance and yard landscaping services from what we're told.”
Three men were arrested in the assault, which happened at the PNC Music Pavilion: Paul Lucas, 29, Nathan Lucas, 22, of Indian Trail and Randolph Mangum, 24, of Monroe.
Nathan Lucas and Mangum were charged with misdemeanor simple assault, while Paul Lucas was charged with misdemeanor assault on a female, according to police records. All were released after posting bond and will appear in court July 22.
Official statement from PNC Music Pavilion:
“We were saddened by the regrettable events that took place on Friday, June 17. Upon learning that the offensive actions were taken by patrons who also happened to be employed by Lucas Landscaping, one of our service providers, we took swift and immediate action to terminate services provided by Lucas Landscaping at PNC Music Pavilion.”
After the story went national, Lucas Landscaping sent a news release regarding its employee accused of being involved in the incident:
On Friday, June 17 one employee of our company was accused of being involved in an assault upon one Mike Wallace and Lindsey Wallace Van Wingerden.
Since that time Mr. Wallace and various other individuals have chosen to post statements, comments and opinions regarding the circumstances on social media websites.
This has resulted in verbal attacks upon our business, suggestions that our clients abandon our company and innuendo regarding our business that we believe is designed to both frustrate the proper administration of justice within our court system and prevent our company from continuing to do business where we employ over 70 individuals who work hard and depend upon their jobs to support themselves and their families.
(Nathan Lucas, Paul Lucas and Randolph Magnum)
“The physical side is going to heal,” Wallace Van Wingerdentold Channel 9. “The bruises are going to heal. There's doctors gonna fix things, but now it’s the emotional parts. You see these flashbacks knowing there are people out there.”
“It's a weekend we did not plan on having,” she said. “I could think of a lot better things to be doing on Father's Day, that's for sure.”
A witness to the fight told Channel 9 there are no victims, and that the Wallace family started the fight.
"Kenny Wallace has used a public platform to blow this thing up and destroy a family," that witness, who did not want to be identified, said.
None of the suspects have commented on the case.
The eldest brother of the Wallace racing family, which includes Rusty Wallace and Kenny Wallace, Mike Wallace had 197 starts in his Sprint Cup career, his last coming in the 2015 Daytona 500.
He has competed in 17 Cup races in the past 10 years. His last full NASCAR season was in 2013 when he competed in the Xfinity Series, where he has four career wins in 494 starts.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 3 accused of brutal attack on NASCAR veteran Mike Wallace, daughter
- Police conducting homicide investigation after woman killed in apartment fire
- Troopers ID motorcyclist found dead off side of Gaston Co. road
- Rare identical triplets born to Wake Forest family
- FBI releasing partial transcript of Orlando shooter's calls with police
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Landscaping company dropped after assault involving NASCAR veteran
Deputies: Teen shot in chest playing game at Denver mobile home
Driver killed after slamming into tree in Lancaster County
FORECAST: Soggy Monday on tap ahead of temperature dip
McCain takes jab at Trump during interview about Vietnam War