CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Troopers were investigating a deadly crash on Interstate 85 in northwest Charlotte early Monday morning.
Officials responded to I-85 northbound near the Brookshire Freeway just before 4:30 a.m. and told Channel 9 that a man was killed after being struck by several cars.
Officers told Channel 9 that the driver of a white Jeep spun out on the wet roadway and collided with the guardrail. He then got out of his vehicle to try to flag down help.
That is when he was struck by three vehicles, police told Channel 9. Those drivers remained at the scene.
Police have not released the victim's name.
Authorities had to close three northbound lanes of the interstate for hours while they investigated the crash.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Crews reel in massive 3,000-pound great white off SC coast
- SBI investigating after man shot, killed by deputy in Caldwell County
- Couple robbed, shot in Plaza Midwood; 3 arrested after chase, crash
- CMPD says man killed after being struck by 3 vehicles on I-85
- Deputies say driver killed after crashing into trees in York County
© 2018 Cox Media Group.