CHARLOTTE, N.C. - North Carolina state troopers were investigating after a pedestrian was hit and killed on the Interstate 485 outer loop Sunday night.
Witnesses told a trooper that a woman was lying in the middle of the interstate before several cars hit and killed her.
Troopers told Channel 9 that investigators determined the woman who was killed committed suicide.
Family members told troopers, the woman involved was depressed.
No charges are expected to be filed against any drivers.
The incident happened just after 9 p.m. and all lanes of I-485 were shut down between mile marker 64 and 61 until 12:30 a.m. while investigators were working.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Will Smith shooting: 5 things we know now
- Police: Driver reached speeds of 110 mph before slamming into DOT truck
- Ronnie "The King" Davis dies after crash at Rockingham Dragway
- Speed a factor in crash that killed woman in Union Co., troopers say
- Troopers: I-485 shut down for hours after woman hit, killed
- NC transgender law supporters, opponents to rally at state Capitol
© 2018 Cox Media Group.