America’s largest home has unveiled its first art exhibition ever in its historic gardens. Chihuly at Biltmore, featuring the works of globally-renowned artist Dale Chihuly, is on display through Oct. 7, 2018.
A leader in the development of glass as a fine art, Chihuly is celebrated for large architectural installations that have captivated viewers around the U.S. and throughout the world. The Chihuly at Biltmore exhibition features awe-inspiring artworks in both Biltmore House and the gardens, and is included in Biltmore admission.
The first major garden exhibition of Chihuly’s works in North Carolina, the artist’s installations reside in estate gardens for dramatic views in spring, summer, and fall, taking advantage of the living backdrop designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, known as the father of American landscape architecture.
Garden plantings, developed in collaboration between Chihuly and Biltmore’s landscape teams complement the artworks throughout the estate:
- The Front Lawn features a glistening representation of "The Sun"
- Inside Biltmore House, the Winter Garden glows with a multitude of gold and white forms conjuring visions of sea life and reflecting Chihuly's love of Venice
- The Italian Garden offers three installations, including a "Boat" filled with multicolored glass spheres inspired by Japanese fishing floats
- In the Shrub Garden, "Red Reeds" – ranging from 6 to 10 feet high – form a striking installation
- The Walled Garden presents two vibrant "Towers" – one of which was created for the Biltmore setting
- The glass Conservatory is the setting for three dramatic "Chandeliers" – one of Chihuly's most iconic series – comprised of glass forms in varying, elegant hues
- Antler Hill Village & Winery features a new installation created for Biltmore welcoming guests upon arrival
During reservation-only Chihuly Nights at Biltmore, the artworks will be dramatically illuminated to showcase their colors and shapes. Take in sunset views over the Blue Ridge Mountains; enjoy live music in the gardens; and choose from a selection of wines from an alfresco wine bar. Chihuly Nights at Biltmore is offered on select evenings throughout the exhibition’s run.
Daytime admission to Chihuly at Biltmore is included in the general admission ticket price. Admission to see Chihuly Nights at Biltmore requires a separate ticket.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit biltmore.com/chihuly.
© 2020 Cox Media Group