CHARLOTTE, N.C. - When people in North Carolina fall for romance scams, they fall hard.
The average victim lost almost $48,000 last year to these types of scams and North Carolina is ranked "worst in the country" for average money lost.
"He was asking me, 'Well, will you do anything for me?' And, at that moment, I was like, 'Why not, I want to see kind of where it goes,'" the victim said. "It is a hard lesson. I would just love for people to be aware that actually it's going on. This is real. It can happen to you."
Watch the video above as Action 9's Jason Stoogenke discovered this is hurting all age groups, even tech savvy milennials.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SUV belonging to missing Marshville woman found in Anson County
- Pregnant NC woman killed 2 weeks after testifying in murder trial
- Stanly County woman's car set on fire, 'KKK' spray-painted on home
- Deputies: Disgruntled customer fired shots at auto repair shop owner
- SC woman accused of public intoxication while operating toy truck
© 2019 Cox Media Group.